Thursday, March 15, 2012

INTRIGUING NEWLY PUBLISHED LEICA PHOTOGRAPH(S)


Please allow me some back patting.  I was just informed that one of my photographs was chosen by Minnesota Public Television for a book titled “Capture Minnesota.”

The sculpture of the “Veiled Lady” at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) has fascinated me ever since I saw it for the first time many years ago.  I decided to use a photograph that I took of it for my Photosculpture project, where I combine photographs of sculptures with portraits of people.  This proved to be particularly difficult because I wanted to make sure that I maintained the transparency of the veil so masterfully done with the solid, totally opaque material of marble.  The fact that an artist could make a solid material look translucent is the most fascinating aspect of the original.  I chose this particular model shot because, unlike the original, where the woman looks down, the person makes direct eye contact, resulting in a connection with the viewer in spite of the veil.

I can’t quite envision how this could have been done via conventional methods, but thanks to Photoshop it turned out to be an intriguing photograph if I may say so myself. 

If you are interested to find out more about the techniques applied, please do so by placing a comment below or contact me at info@gmpphoto.com.
For more examples of the Photosculpture project please go to:

   
 Original photograph of the sculpture at MIA                             Original photograph of the model


Photosculpture




1 comment:

  1. he Leica and cameras and photography in general certainly offer a lot of topics for discussion. But we must not forget the ultimate purpose of why we have cameras; to take pictures. For that reason I would like to start a weekly (or possibly daily) gallery of photographs. But I don’t want this to be a showcase for just my own work; to the contrary, I would like to encourage everyone to submit photographs for display on this blog. The copyright to the photographs will remain with the photographer and no pictures will ever be used for any other purpose unless permission is given by the copyright holder.
    No registration for this site is necessary. Just email any of the photographs to either of my email addresses at:

    info@gmpphoto.com or gmpphotography@msn.com

    If possible, please include the make and model of the camera (any camera, not just Leica) and any other information you deem important.

    It is my hope that this may become one of the most sought after topics of this blog.

    Thank you,

    Heinz Richter

    ReplyDelete